How We Grow
Growth is an important part of London’s future. It provides new neighbours, jobs, and physical change to the city. Population growth and economic growth go hand in hand. New businesses are attracted to communities that have a high-quality labour force, and job seekers are drawn to areas with a high quality of life. Growing cities bring more people and innovative companies to a community, strengthening our
social and cultural diversity.
It is important for the infrastructure that supports this growth to be affordable and staged in a sustainable way. Planning plays an essential role in managing the development of land and in protecting environmental and agricultural lands necessary to support future growth.
By growing in a way that brings together places where you live, work, and play, daily trips become more convenient and you spend less time travelling. This improves the quality of your experience living in the city and fosters a sense of community.
How can London grow in a more sustainable way?
Where would you like to see new city growth take place?
What would encourage people to move to London?
Join the conversation about London's future. Participate here!
Related Plans and Initiatives
- 20 Year Sewer System Plan (email for information)
- BIGS Neighbourhood Study (Beaufort/Irwin/Gun/Saunby/Essex Street)
- City of London Growth Plan
- Community Improvement Financial Incentives (email for information)
- Development Charges Study (email for information)
- Downtown Master Plan, Design Guidelines and Conservation District Plan
- Greenway WPCP Expansion (email for information)
- Infill /Intensification Policies (email for information)
- London Psychiatric Hospital Secondary Plan
- Placemaking Guidelines
- Secondary Dwelling Units Policy Review (email for information)
- South of Horton (SOHO) Community Improvement Plan
- Southwest Area Secondary Plan
- Urban Design Guidelines
- Urban Structure Plan
On December 12th, 2012, ReThink London hosted an event with Brent Toderian - a nationally and internationally known practitioner with over 20 years of experience in advanced urbanism, city planning and urban design. Check out the video below!