Planning for Growth in London - Draft Growth Forecasts (July, 2012)
Interested in how London will grow in the future? Population, employment, residential and non-residential construction forecasts have been prepared for the City of London from 2011 to 2041.
About the Report
Altus Group Economic Consulting has been retained by the City of London to prepare growth projections for population, employment, housing and non-residential construction (industrial commercial and institutional) to the year 2041. The growth forecasts provide an important foundation for city initiatives including:
- The Official Plan (including growth plan and land needs study);
- The 2014 Development Charges Study;
- The Industrial Land Development Strategy;
- Facilities planning (e.g., recreation centres, community centres, libraries);
- Engineering master servicing plans; and,
- For business planning purposes.
City Council has established a population growth rate target of 2% for the city's future. Initiatives are underway through the London Prosperity Plan to accelerate London's economy and to further enhance the city's image as a desirable place for the future investment. The growth forecasts presented in the attached draft report, however, provide a baseline for anticipated growth for planning purposes. As the city's growth rate increased, the initiatives based on these growth forecasts can be adjusted.
Growth Forecasts Reports
You review the draft growth forecasts by clicking the links to the reports below.
- Information Report - "City of London Growth Projections 2011-2041"
- Draft Altus Report - "Employment, Population, Housing and Non-Residential Construction Projections, City of London, 2011 Update
Provide your Feedback!
We welcome your feedback on the draft growth forecasts study! Comments can be directed to Paul Yeoman at the Planning Division. We would appreciate receiving comments by July 31st to ensure that feedback is incorporated into the final study.
On December 12th, 2012, ReThink London hosted an event with Brent Toderian - a nationally and internationally known practitioner with over 20 years of experience in advanced urbanism, city planning and urban design. Check out the video below!